M.J. Quintana

Hello and welcome to my blog for my New Testament History and Literature class. This semester my class is reading the NT and I will be blogging about my thoughts about my readings. Feel free to comment on my posts if you would like. :)


M.J. Quintana
NT History and Lit
Brodin

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Matthew - Chapter 5 through 9

Chapter 5

This chapter really spoke to me. Jesus is said to be sitting at the mountain teaching his disciples about the things that have been said but what really should be now lived by. Things such as love your neighbor and hate you enemy; He says to love your enemy just the same. Jesus brings up commandments and explains how they are vital for salvation pretty much. I just love Jesus. He is so gracious in His teachings. One thing cool I found out is it’s a sin to be mad at someone! I am trying super hard now to not shed anger towards anyone. This chapter really teaches you LOVE is the movement. Just LOVE! (and praise Jesus)

Chapter 6


This chapter really spoke to me because Jesus is basically saying don’t worry what other people think about you. But more than that He is saying flat out DO NOT WORRY. It’s comforting to read this chapter because Jesus is saying that God will take care of us in our times of prayer, fasting, giving…that He will provide as long as we are not being boastful in our ways. I think that is really cool. Just take heart knowing that Jesus got your back! He won’t let anything bad happen to you as long as you stay faithful in your devotion to Him. Closing with this verse: “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Is that not super comforting? I am so comforted reading that verse.

Chapter 7

I will just jump to my main thought and that is the ending. The crowds just heard Jesus speak about not being judgmental, to ask, seek, knock, learned about true and false prophets and disciples and the crowds are just in awe of His teachings. It is described that they were amazed because He taught as one with authority and not a teacher of the law. I think it is really cool that they were so taken in by His word. I just can’t help but thinking how amazing it would be to witness this all. Must have been just incredible.

Chapter 8

Jesus is healing people like crazy in this chapter! Where there is healing needed He is there. I love how people come to Him so humbly and in return humbly He heals their loved ones. However, until he gets to the demon-possessed men who test Jesus and He tells them to do what they recommend which lead to their death. Just like that Jesus goes from hero to zero and is asked to leave the town. People are dumb. That is my ultimate thought. Jesus did so much to heal the people in their community and that one thing which wasn’t His fault at all; He immediately becomes a bad guy.

Chapter 9

Don’t the Pharisees just tick you off sometimes? They are just so ignorant in their thoughts and views. Jesus is healing the blind, the mute, the demon possessed, the dead to live, etc. and the Pharisees say that it is by the prince of demons that drive out the demons. I just can’t help but feel they want to believe Jesus but their pride won’t let them which I think is ridiculous. I think that this is such a cool book of the New Testament so far. I love seeing how Jesus came to be and what He has to deal with and the amazing things He does.

No comments:

Post a Comment